Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Arrival

Today I woke up at 4:30 Seattle time, which is 6:30 Austin time, and I'm now mentally somewhere in between those two times. Hopefully I'll adjust soon, but right now it's midnight Austin time and I'm both exhausted and wide awake. So basically just loopy as all hell. 

Flew from Seattle to Denver to Austin on Southwest air. They have the best in-flight snacks, granola bars, cheese-its, peanuts. Love it.
I started reading World War Z on the plane. Maybe that's why no one sat next to me. Or maybe I look intimidating? Who knows? Who cares? I didn't have to fight anyone for an armrest.
I arrived, my baggage all arrived, my shuttle dropped me off at my house, and my new housemate was here to welcome me.  I think we are going to get along really well.

There is a KEXP button stuck to the stereo in my room (belonging to the girl who I'm subletting from). I took that as a sign that this is where I'm supposed to be.

My new housemate took me to pick up my rental car - it's a bright yellow, brand new Chevy Aveo:

Not a car I would ever choose for myself, but it's actually kind of fun. Mostly I like that it is bright yellow and has a/c. Also it has a little over 800 miles on it. It's the newest, shiniest thing I've ever driven.

Went to dinner with my new housemate and two of her friends - we had a great time. Margaritas and warm weather and fun people - a girl could get used to that.

Then I went on an adventure of my own - I went to a show at the Out of Bounds Improv Festival. First, I'm just really excited that I found the place. (I got a little lost coming home, but that's a different story...) In addition to the excitement of getting there, I saw one of the four people in Austin that I know, the one and only Terp2It. (I'm sure I saw other people that I met last time I was here, but my brain is so distressed after however many hours of consciousness that everyone looked familiar. )

The improv was awesome, I love short form but I forgot how much I enjoy long form. The second troupe I saw perform tonight, Improv For Evil, did an improvised 1970's-style cop show. Let me just say - YES. But then, I'm a sucker for themes. And big ridiculous mustaches. 

I wrote a list of things I need to buy soon:
a washcloth, cotton swabs, pictures for my walls, extension cords, a car, black capris, and a little fan. 

Tomorrow I will be going to Primrose School for some training, and then looking at some cars. I'm going to check out a 99 Miata, a 2002 GTI, and a 1987 BMW. Hopefully one of them isn't total crap. I should really buy a Honda or something else non-German. However, there's no fun in that.

Now I'm going to try to sleep - But really I'll probably watch the movie that I didn't watch on the plane, or read more about the Zombie Wars. 




2 comments:

imkimc said...

oooh, oooh, yellow!
I was thinking the Aveo would be a great electric car!

Zombie movies rock...

Very glad to hear you're there...
cold here... brrrrrr.

BG Fern said...

Glad your long trip went ok & you arrived safely at your new residence.

I wanted to buy a yellow car but the CRV didn't come in that color. That way all the a..h... drivers could see us coming.

Gumby is incorrect, it wasn't cold yesterday. As long as I can wear shorts & sandals, it is NOT cold!