Saturday, August 30, 2008

Cold Showers

Through some weird miscommunication, the gas in my new house got turned off, instead of the account just switching names. My new roommate called the gas company and, because of the long weekend, they can't turn it back on until next week.
This means: no stove and no hot water.
At first I thought it wouldn't be a big deal, it's a billion degrees outside, cold showers should be ok. And occasionally, they are. But stepping into that cold shower first thing in the morning is something I just can't bring myself to do. I have to turn down the a/c, turn off the fans, and wait for the house to get good and toasty. Then I jump in, get wet, turn off the water, wash, turn on the water, and try to breathe while I rinse off. I don't feel like I'm getting very clean, but then, I start sweating the minute I leave the house, so who really cares?
In other news, I am pretty sure I'm going to buy a truck. I was pretty stoked on getting a Miata or something, but the more time I spend on the freeways here, the more terrifying that prospect sounds.
(On that note - Texas freeways are weird. I still haven't figured it out. Access roads? Tolls? ah!)
I went and test-drove this truck yesterday, it's a red Ford Ranger and I like it. While driving it, the skies opened up and began to dump rain. Not sure how I feel about that. There was also crazy lightening and thunder.

Yesterday I got a little homesick - trying to figure out all this new stuff (banking, driving, grocery shopping) got to me a little bit. I miss Seattle and Bellevue and Bellingham where I know where everything is and how to get there and I don't get lost on a daily basis. I'm sure I'll get to that point here, but for now it's kind of stressful.

My new housemate is in law school and I went with her and some of her friends to a big law school beginning of the school year party on 6th street. Think Pioneer Square and Bourbon street mashed up into one big mess. It was fun in a "now I don't have to do that again" kind of way. Or maybe I will, who knows?

There is a park across the street and people are playing tennis. I want to ask them if they are aware that it is 90 degrees out. They probably are. Crazies.

On today's itinerary: Find an ATM that takes deposits, find the library, meet up with my friend Talleri.

2 comments:

imkimc said...

oooh, oooooh, red truck.
Ford Ranger makes and excellent electric conversion!

um, yeah, cold shower, um, no. I'd just stink :)

Besides, pickem up trucks are sooooo Texas :) Maybe you'll get that cowboy after all ;)

Ford Ranger = good vehicle so I say go for it. Plus, you can move yourself in a few months!!!!

Yours Truly, Johnny Blogger said...

And you will notice there are a lot of roads I thought were all named "Frontage Road." Turns out those are all the roads that run parallel to the highways and just have the sign saying "Frontage Road." They aren't called that. So don't say, Yes - it's on Frontage Road.

As for 6th Street... I understand that one. But do try to find some real fajitas. The kind where they make tortillas there. On the Border is a good chain version, but there is probably a local place that is good too.

You are already missed! We went to Hula Hula (silent from Karaoke) and said our goodbyes... and big ones they were.

Matt got a job as a production assistant for 30 Rock at NBC and is moving to New York. Lauren is leaving for NY as well for school at Fordham. Brett left his 20's behind. And John E. isn't sure what his next improv step is.

Strangely enough, two or three people left the last class without saying anything... which made me just wonder.

Be well in Bevo Land! You're linked in my blog, so I am going to keep up with 'cha.