Tuesday, December 2, 2008

reflections on the giving of the thanks

After staying at my Aunt's house for two days, I headed to South Houston to my Uncle's house. (on a side note - getting from North Houston to South Houston takes over an hour. Who on earth decided a single city could be that large?) Being at my Uncle's house was the exact opposite of being at my aunts. I felt like I was hanging out with a bunch of (50+ year old) college boys, instead of at my mom's house. Both were great, I was just thoroughly amused by the contrast.
My uncles were tearing apart the kitchen, in preparation for Uncle Olin's Extreme Kitchen Makeover, 2008; which is part 2 in Uncle Olin's Extreme Home Makeover, Nelson-style.
The guest bath is done. They are finishing up the kitchen today (so the plan went) and will move on to the master bath by Christmas.
We ate leftovers, went to all the hardware stores, drank a lot of Miller Light, and hung out. It was good times.
I also got to see my friends Anthony, Gina, and Nick on Saturday - they moved to Houston not long before I moved to Austin. It was great to see them. We went to breakfast and then a park in downtown Houston where there was - get this - and ice skating rink. An OUTDOOR ice skating rink. In 60+ degree weather. Oh, Texas. Really?
I drove back from Houston on Sunday morning and managed to get back in time to do my improv show - I was very impressed with myself. Driving through Central Texas is a lot like driving through Eastern Washington, except it goes on for a lot longer. A LOT longer. I saw a dead armadillo and listened to Christmas music - exciting trip.

I leave in a week - or really less than a week. I'm not sure what to do with myself right now. It seems too early to pack. I ate too much (not possible!) barbecue and watched some Twin Peaks tonight. I'm going to miss good Texas BBQ. I will have to find a place in Seattle to satisfy the cravings.

No comments: