Friday, September 12, 2008

So much excitement!

I'm watching the news as I sit here blogging, and the big news is all the football games being postponed due to Hurricane Ike and the tropical depression in the Pacific. The reporter just said "Texas is getting it from both sides," which made me giggle.
Anyways.
The eye of the hurricane is not supposed to "officially" make landfall until 1am tonight - but Galveston is already underwater as are many other areas of the coast. There are 17 shelters in the city of Austin housing people from the coast. Why do people even live here?
Last night I got a small preview of the excitement to come. I was in the shower (always an awesome place to be when things happen) at about 10pm. Suddenly the lights started to flicker, and there was a popping and a flash of light outside, then the power went out. While I was in the shower. Sweet.
So I did what any logical person would do, and finished my shower. Or maybe that's not what a logical person would do, because I did have a small fear that I was going to be electrocuted.
After finding my flashlight and getting dressed, I walked into the living room and saw police cars and firetrucks in the street in front of the house. I walked outside and looked up the street, and there was a branch in the power lines, arcing and sparking. Pretty cool. Except that our power was out for several hours (no a/c) and it was dark and all the neighbors were in front of my house forEVER. 
So, yeah. Branches fall into power lines here when there is no wind at all. And we have a "wind warning" until 7pm tomorrow. Awesome. Cross your fingers that a branch doesn't fall on my new car. Or, you know, me.

2 comments:

BG Fern said...

Rosie, do you have a basement? That is where I would be. No place to put your car? No carport? Where is your passport? Find it & get out!!!
Come back to Washington; all we have to worry about are earthquakes.

Jessika travels said...

yo, that is nothing...about the power - hah try kathmandu! if electricity went out in the states like it does here, every body would be hiding in their bomb shelters.